Vice-Chancellors Ghana (VCG), hereby, invites applications from suitably qualified persons
already in employment in the Public Universities in Ghana for the position of Executive
Secretary, to take effect from 1st August 2022.
POSITION: Executive Secretary, Vice-Chancellors Ghana (VCG)
REPORTING TO: Chairperson, Vice-Chancellors Ghana (VCG)
The Mission of Vice-Chancellors, Ghana (VCG) is to provide a consultative forum through
which diverse challenges facing Higher Education can be tackled in a coordinated manner.
This would be sustained through:
- Harnessing the unique attributes of member Universities towards the realization of
- Creating synergy through harmonizing the efforts of member Universities to ensure
optimization of returns on investments in education.
- Establishing a unifying voice for Higher Education, advocating for increased
understanding and support of the Higher Education sector from all stakeholders.
- Establishing and pursuing quality academic standards that are globally recognized and
Duties & Responsibilities
Staff in this grade shall be required to perform work that requires the exhibition of sound and mature judgment, a high sense of responsibility, initiative, and discretion. An Accounting Assistant shall perform various accounting duties which include:
- preparation of a statement of accounts;
- checking and verification of current accounts;
- preparation of Bank reconciliation statements;
- writing and issuing cheques
- assist with general accounts payable and accounts receivable duties.
- attending to correspondence
- perform any other duties assigned from time to time by the Director of Finance.
Qualities of Person Eligible for Appointment
The successful applicant is expected to have the following attributes:
- Dynamic, self-motivated, result-oriented with proven competent leadership capabilities;
- A team player with excellent interpersonal skills;
- Able to exercise sound judgment, exhibit a high sense of initiative and administrative
and managerial skills;
- Knowledgeable in Higher Education policies and regulations;
- An effective communicator with excellent report writing skills; and,
- Computer literate.
- Applicant must, normally, be able to serve at least, one four (4) year term of office before
attaining the compulsory retirement age of sixty (60) years.
Qualifications and Experience
The following qualifications and experience are required:
- At least, a Master’s degree and/or equivalent qualification in a relevant discipline. Any
additional academic or professional qualifications(s) would be an added advantage.
- Applicant must have attained the rank of at least a Senior Assistant Registrar in a
The Executive Secretary is the executive head of the VCG Secretariat who sees to the day-to-
day running and coordination of the Secretariat. The duties include but are not limited to:
- Organise and supervise programmes of VCG.
- Initiate and develop innovative programmes that will promote the interest of Higher
Education in Ghana.
- Supervise the collection and dissemination of relevant data and information on
- Lobby and manage contacts with government, the public, the media, and international
- Liaise with the GTEC and other Government Agencies, as well, VCG Campus
- Develop and maintain contacts with similar organisations involved in Higher Education
- Ensure the availability of resources for the effective implementation of the programmes
and sustainability of the VCG.
- Coordinate fundraising activities; liaise with donors and institutions with interest in
Higher Education both nationally and internationally.
- Coordinate the organisation of seminars and workshops.
- Coordinate the organisation of meetings and implement decisions and policies of VCG.
In addition, the Executive Secretary will see to the implementation of the VCG Strategic
Plan, coordinate the affairs of VCG, and market the Organisation. S/he is to ensure that:
- the image of the Organisation is upheld nationally and internationally,
- there is a good collegial relationship between and among the heads of its member
- the Strategic Plan and Business Plan are reviewed periodically and these are
implemented according to schedule.
Appointment & Remuneration
An Executive Secretary shall normally hold office on terms and conditions recommended by
the VCG. The appointment is renewable, based on performance.
The Executive Secretary shall, normally, be on secondment from his or her host Institution.
Mode of Application
An applicant is required to submit a complete application pack to the Chairperson, Vice-
Chancellors Ghana (VCG), P. O. Box LG 25, Legon, Accra, Ghana (Hardcopy) or
[email protected] (Soft Copy).
The application pack should contain the following:
- Application letter
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae.
- Certificates and other relevant documents
- Names of three (3) Referees.
- A statement of about 2,500 words (not more than five pages) indicating how one
intends to use the period in office to address relevant issues that will ensure that the
VCG achieves its mission.
The VCG strategic plan can be found at https://bit.ly/StrategicPlan-VCG. A copy may also be
made available on request, from [email protected] or [email protected].
Only shortlisted applicants would be contacted.
Applications should reach the Chairperson, Vice-Chancellors Ghana (VCG), not later than
the close of day on Friday, 20th May 2022.